"Why Singing, Music and Congregational Singing are Important" Sunday, 5/19/19
Elder Chris Taylor takes a look at Colossians 3:16 and Ephesians 5:18-19 and discusses the importance of spiritual songs and hymns, and why they are essential and a commanded part of the worship service. He then walks the congregation through six supporting points.
1. Congregational singing is the only thing that the New Testament requires us to do. It does not require us to play or use musical instruments and it also does not require us to have a choir, praise team band or soloist. There are three parts to worship: Preaching, Praying and Singing.
2. We are commanded to participate in congregational singing! When you come into the song service, make sure you bring more than just your spiritual appetite.
3. If you’re going to sing, then SING! (Ephesians 5:18-19) It’s singing with grace and melody in your hearts to the Lord. This is not a lukewarm, half-hearted endeavor!
4. Worship God with the musical instrument He gave you, your voice! This is the best way to honor God! (Psalm 96:1-4)
5. Music gives us order. Music shows us what life would be like if life was ordered and harmonious. Satan hates music that is honoring to God! He hates a singing church and the order that comes from it.
6. Congregational singing is everyone singing together! ( Ephesians 5:18-19)